- The name “Norway” means “path to the North”.
- Norway along with Sweden and Denmark make up Scandinavia.
- The Jostedalsbreen, in Norway, is the largest glacier in Northern Europe.
- Norway has over 20,000 km of coastline.
- Gas prices are among the highest in the world, even though Norway is one of the biggest exporters of oil in the world.
- The Laerdal road tunnel is the world’s longest road tunnel at 24.5 km (15 miles)
- Norway also has the world’s deepest underwater tunnel at 287 meters deep.
- Norway is one of the wealthiest countries in the world.
- It is also the most peaceful country, according to the Global Peace Index.
- The official Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square in London has come from Oslo for over the last fifty years.
- The cheese slicer was invented in Norway.
- Norway is the 6th largest country in Europe, but only ranks 28th as far as population.
- You can only buy alcohol from stores called Vinmonopolet. There are only one or two in each city, and none in the countryside towns.
- If caught driving under the influence, there is an automatic 30 days in jail, lose your license for a year, and pay fines up to 10% of your annual income!
- Binge drinking on the weekends is a well-established tradition. Just don’t drive home!
- Food stores cannot be open on Sundays. If you need groceries then, you have to get them at the local gas station, which are allowed to sell food on Sundays.
- Food prices are so high in Norway that many people travel to Sweden to buy their groceries.
- The Grandiosa frozen pizza is the unofficial national food dish.
- Norway is the birthplace of modern skiing. The word “ski” is Norwegian for “piece of wood”.
- There are about 450,000 lakes in Norway, 200 or so that are 4 square miles or more in size.
- There are as many Norwegian descendants living in the US as there are Norwegians living in Norway, especially the states of North Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- If you own a TV in Norway, you have to pay an annual fee of $300 USD.
About to graduate or already have your degree? Want to get paid to travel the world? Take this accredited English teaching course and teach abroad in your dream spot! Click here to get started on living your dreams!
Pin it for later!
Latest posts by Justin Carmack (see all)
- Starting my Round-The-World trip with @StarAlliance - June 19, 2016
- 6 Awesome Things To Do in Belize - June 10, 2016
- Come Dive the Best of Belize with me! - May 30, 2016