Here is 21 interesting facts about Costa Rica, the first country outside the USA that I ever traveled. Way back in the days when my passport was stamp-less and un-weathered. Costa Rica will always have a warm spot in my heart, as being the first of many international adventures to come! Also check out this great guide to Costa Rica in a wheelchair.
Interesting Facts About Costa Rica
1. Costa Ricans call themselves Ticos and Ticas.
2. Costa Rica is slightly smaller than Lake Michigan.
3. There are 800 miles of coastline, both on the Atlantic and Pacific.
4. Costa Rica border Nicaragua to the north and Panama to the south.
5. It only takes up .03% of planet’s surface but holds 5% of its biodiversity!
6. More than 25% of Costa Rican land is protected national parks and refuges.
7. A Costa Rican female swimmer won a gold medal in the 1996 summer games in Atlanta.
8. Costa Rica is the longest-standing democracy in Central America.
9 . Nearly all Catholic churches face west.
11. Milk, eggs, and other perishable items are often sold unrefrigerated.10. It is common to buy wine in little paper boxes, which you do refrigerate.
12. San Jose is only a 2 hour flight from Miami and 3 ½ from New York
13. “Pura vida” is the national saying, which means “pure life,” a sunny, feel good expression used as a greeting, goodbye, or if someone asks how you are doing.
14. The average Tico makes $6,000 a year and the average wage labor is $10 per day, the highest in Central America.
15. The average life expectancy of 77 years is one of the highest in the world.
16. Costa Rica has a female president, Laura Chinchilla.
17. Costa Rica has no standing army. It was constitutionally abolished in 1949.
18. They claim a 96% literacy rate. In very poor and rural areas, where children can’t get to schools, they teach classes over a national radio station.
19. Less than 1% of Costa Ricans are of indigenous ancestry. 94% are of European or mestizo ethnicity.
20. There are more than 121 volcanic formations in Costa Rica, and seven of them are active. Poas Volcano has the second widest crater in the world and Arenal is one of the ten most active volcanoes in the world.
21. There are about 52 species of hummingbirds in Costa Rica
Interested in Costa Rica real estate? Also check out 50 thing to do in Costa Rica!