Everyone hears Greece and automatically visions iconic islands and blue roof-tops on awesome beaches. I am here to tell you that Athens is a whole other breed than the islands. There is still plenty of things to do in Athens though!
10 things to do in Athens
1. The Acropolis is the most ruins in Athens. It sits in the middle of Athens, and at the top is the most famous of all – Parthenon, a temple dedicated to goddess Athena. It all brings history lessons from school to life!
2. Acropolis Museum sits at the base of the Acropolis and is full of wonderful archaeological artifacts. A must-see if interested in the ancient history of Greece.
3. Hephaistion is also on the Acropolis, in the Agora ruins, and is an ancient Greek temple that is almost entirely preserved. Hephaistos, to whom this temple is dedicated, is the god of the forge.
4. Erechtheion is the second largest temple on the Acropolis. It has statues of six maidens as pillars that are amazing. Hard to imagine such beautiful and intricate things could have been carved so long ago.
6. Filopappos Hill is opposite the Acropolis and is a wonderful place to walk among the pine trees. Once at the top you get an awesome view of the Acropolis and Lycabettus hill.
7. Plaka is a plaza at the base of Acropolis with a nice, fun atmosphere. A great place for some shopping, eating or just sitting and watching people.
8. Village Center is a great area where there is something for everyone. Great shops, bars, cafes and restaurants, and a large cinema complex are among the attractions here.
9. When you are tired of looking at all the ruins, head over to Lake Vouliagmeni. The little fish spas, where the fish eat your dead skin, are amazing, as well as the therapeutic volcanic bath and hot springs.
10. Voula Beach is also a nice sandy beach to spend the day relaxing at. Any of the local beaches you choose will be a real delight.
Check out Things to do in Dahab, Egypt!