10 Interesting Facts About Venezuela
Travel is the best history lesson you can have, but unfortunately I have not spent enough time in Venezuela! Here are 10 Interesting Facts About Venezuela, a fascinating South American country!
1. Slavery was abolished in Venezuela in 1854.
2. Venezuela was the largest oil exporter in the world in the early twentieth century.
3. Venezuela was one of the founding members of OPEC, along with Iran, Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.
4. Venezuela is one of the oldest democracies in South America.
5. Venezuela gained independence from Spain in July 1811. It became an independent republic in the year 1821.
6. Capybara, the largest rodent of the world, is found inhabiting the grassy plains (llanos) of Venezuela.
7. The first European to find the coast of Venezuela was Christopher Columbus.
8. The term Venezuela literally means ‘Little Venice’. The country was so named by its explorers, who saw houses built on stilts in a lake here, reminding them of Venice.
9. Angel Falls in Venezuela is the tallest waterfall in the world
10. Venezuela has more Miss Universes and more Miss Worlds than any other country