- The name “Norway” means “path to the North”.
- Norway along with Sweden and Denmark make up Scandinavia.
- The Jostedalsbreen, in Norway, is the largest glacier in Northern Europe.
- Norway has over 20,000 km of coastline.
- Gas prices are among the highest in the world, even though Norway is one of the biggest exporters of oil in the world.
- The Laerdal road tunnel is the world’s longest road tunnel at 24.5 km (15 miles)
Image source: worldbiggest.net
- Norway also has the world’s deepest underwater tunnel at 287 meters deep.
- Norway is one of the wealthiest countries in the world.
- It is also the most peaceful country, according to the Global Peace Index.
- The official Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square in London has come from Oslo for over the last fifty years.
- The cheese slicer was invented in Norway.
- Norway is the 6th largest country in Europe, but only ranks 28th as far as population.
Image source: alexnail.com
- You can only buy alcohol from stores called Vinmonopolet. There are only one or two in each city, and none in the countryside towns.
- If caught driving under the influence, there is an automatic 30 days in jail, lose your license for a year, and pay fines up to 10% of your annual income!
- Binge drinking on the weekends is a well-established tradition. Just don’t drive home!
- Food stores cannot be open on Sundays. If you need groceries then, you have to get them at the local gas station, which are allowed to sell food on Sundays.
- Food prices are so high in Norway that many people travel to Sweden to buy their groceries.
- The Grandiosa frozen pizza is the unofficial national food dish.
- Norway is the birthplace of modern skiing. The word “ski” is Norwegian for “piece of wood”.
- There are about 450,000 lakes in Norway, 200 or so that are 4 square miles or more in size.
- There are as many Norwegian descendants living in the US as there are Norwegians living in Norway, especially the states of North Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- If you own a TV in Norway, you have to pay an annual fee of $300 USD.
Pin it for later!
Interesting Country Facts