25 Interesting Facts About Germany
Curry wurst, Beer, pretty girls.. Germany is one of my favorite countries in the world. Here is 25 interesting facts about Germany that you probably didn’t know.
1. Germany is one of the most densely populated countries in the world.
2. One third of the country is still covered in forests and woodlands.
3. The Christmas tree (Tannenbaum) tradition came from Germany.
4. The working week in Germany also includes Saturday.
5. There are over 300 different kinds of bread in Germany.
6. There are also bread museums.
7. There are over 150 castles in Germany.
8. There are over 1,500 different beers in Germany.
9. Beer is officially considered a food in Bavaria.
10. They rank third in world-wide beer consumption per person after Czech and Austria.
11. The biggest Beer Festival in the world is of course the Oktoberfest in Munich, Bavaria, where the size of the beer glass is not 500ml but a whole liter, the Mass! (it’s also celebrated in September)
12. To get ONE beer in Germany, you show your thumb. To show your first finger means that you want 2 beers: one with the thumb, and one with the finger.
13. There are more football (soccer for the North Americans) fan clubs in Germany than anywhere else in the world.
14. Most taxis in Germany are Mercedes.
15. Holocaust denial is a crime in Germany.
16. Toilet paper in Germany has the softness and consistency of paper towels.
15. Chancellor Angela Merkel has a Barbie doll made after her.
16. There are over 1,000 kinds of sausages in Germany.
17. German is the official language of 5 countries: Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.
18. The first printed book was in German.
19. Berlin has the largest train station in Europe.
20. When JFK visited Berlin, he infamously said “Ich bin ein Berliner,” which also translates to “I am a jelly donut.”
21. The longest word published in the German language is Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft (79 letters).
22. The world’s tallest cathedral is in Ulm.
23. Germany has over 400 zoos, the most in the world.
24. Berlin is nine times bigger than Paris
25. 65% of the Autobahn (highway) has no speed limit.