18 Interesting Facts About Cuba
The very interesting and recluse country of Cuba seems to be frozen in time, that time being the 50’s. It makes it an intriguing country to visit, along with being a beautiful one! Let us know in the comments below i f you know more Cuba facts!
Here are 18 Interesting Facts About Cuba!
1 Cuba is made up of the island of Cuba, Isla de la Juventud (Isle of Youth) and many smaller islands.
2. Bacardi rum was originally manufactured in Cuba. However, the brand moved to Puerto Rico after Fidel Castro’s takeover.
3. Cuba actually possesses one of the best health care systems anywhere in the world! The typical life expectancy is equal to any other progressive nation.
4. Ernest Hemingway wrote “For Whom the Bell Tolls” and “the Old Man and the Sea” while he lived in Cuba.
5. Cuba has one of the lowest birth rates in all of the Western Hemisphere.
6. The worlds’ smallest hummingbird and smallest frog are found in Cuba.
7. The Manjuari is a fish not found anywhere else in the world.
8. There are no animals or plants in Cuba that are poisonous or lethal to humans.
9. Cuba is the 17th largest island in the world.
10. The Vinales Valley, including Havana City, Cienfuegos and Trinidad, is a World Heritage Site.
11. Christmas did not become an official holiday in Cuba until 1997
12. Cuba is the most populated country in all of the Caribbean, with more than 11 million residents.
13. The favorite sport is baseball.
14. Approximately 22% of the country is protected natural areas.
15. Cuba is famous worldwide for its cigars.
16. Pico Real del Turquino is the highest peak in Cuba.
17. Very few people are allowed internet access, and violators are given a 5 year prison sentence.
18. There are so many doctors in Cuba that they are often sent to other countries that have a shortage.